The archetypal pre-war sports car with upswept flowing wings, slab fuel tank and spare wheel(s) mounted on the tail. PJ 8774 has a comprehensive history file with many invoices detailing restoration, parts bought and work carried out as well as original letters from the MG service dept.
This car, chassis J 2090, is fitted with later P Type 12″ brake drums and wings. The car is also fitted with a Morris ‘XPJM’ 1140cc engine and corresponding gearbox, a potent and reliable upgrade from the original J2 engine. The car is painted in an Oxford and Cambridge blue split with black interior and grey weather equipment. The dashboard has been replaced with a more modern version fitted with a full set of working instruments.
The car was delivered to Jarvis and Sons of Wimbledon on the 20th September 1932, painted black/grey and sold on the 1st October 1932 to a Mr Stewart of Wimbledon. From 1933 to 1963 the owners are unknown but the car was then sold to a Mr Phillips of Chalfont. The car has passed through a number of owners since all within the same area.
A large collection of spares accompanies the car including:
- The original fully refurbished dashboard panel
- A spare loose assembled XPJM engine, useful for parts or completing as a backup
- A largely complete dismantled J2 engine in need of restoration
- An original J2 gearbox with remote
- Various other parts all shown in the photographs
On file are many old tax discs, MOTs and service records giving an insight into this lovely little car`s life.
A car to be used `as is` with the original parts available to take it back to standard, it just remains for a new custodian to have as much enjoyment as the last owners.